- Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
Note: If there is anything we can do to make the following more clear, please let us know.
Within the U.S.
If your shipping address has a U.S. zip code, shipping via USPS Priority Mail and/or FedEx, shipping is is calculated at checkout. While free shipping was in effect during our grand opening, the new shipping costs are quite reasonable. In general, you will get your package from us in a period ranging from 1 to 5 days. The time it takes depends on several factors:
- How close you are our location (i.e. Hiawassee, GA, USA 30546)
- How closely connected to the “Atlanta hub” is the “hub” that distributes packages to your address?
- Note: All of our outgoing shipping goes through the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx distribution center in Atlanta, GA. This good, because Atlanta is very closely connected (shipping-wise) to just about everywhere in the “lower 48” part of the U.S.
- Whether your location is separated from the “lower 48” states by another country (e.g. Alaska is separated from the main body of the U.S. by Canada)
- Whether your location is separated from the main body of the U.S. by large bodies of water (e.g. Hawaii is separated from the main part of the U.S. by several thousand miles of Pacific Ocean)
If you need faster shipping
The free shipping using U.S. Priority Mail has worked very well for us.
If you need really fast shipping or other services that can only be provided by FedEx, say so in the comments box that appears during checkout. We will contact you and work out the perfect solution for you.
We will bill you for the cost difference between the “special shipping” and the cost to us for free shipping.
Shipping to Locations Outside of the U.S.
Shipping to locations in all of the non-U.S. countries to which we sell is slightly discounted from actual cost to us. Part of the non-U.S. shipping rate includes extra insurance, as the risk of damage is higher and the risk of fraud (i.e. theft) is quite high (do not take this personally).
International orders are generally shipped via U.S. Postal Service utilizing its arrangement with FedEx.
If you need faster international shipping
If you need really fast shipping or other services that can only be provided by DHL, say so in the comments box that appears during checkout. We will contact you and work out the perfect solution for you. DHL is quite expensive (typically $175 for a travel violin and $225 plus for full-size instruments). The advantage is that you get your instrument in less than a week rather than waiting ridiculously long periods of time while your Customs authority does whatever it is they do. In most countries we ship to, the Customs process goes smoothly and takes about 30 days (unless you use DHL). In countries we do NOT ship to, and a few that we do, they Customs process is horrible.
If you decide to go with DHL, we will bill you for the cost difference between the “special shipping” and the cost to us for our regular discounted international shipping.
No Returns for Refund
Because of the custom “built-just-for-you” nature of just about everything we sell at the Don Rickert Musician Shop, our instruments and accouterments are sold "as is" and we do not accept returns for refund. We have only had one such request in our 8+ years in business anyway.
We DO Happily Accept Some Returns
The special cases for which we accept returns are:
We sent you the wrong product
- We cover all shipping for return and for sending you the right product
Product is damaged
- We will replace the product, including shipping, in bona fide case of damage. Shipping damage must be confirmed by an official report from the shipper. We will work with the shipper in these cases in order to minimize inconvenience to you.
A Problem With The Product (e.g. setup is not right and needs adjustment)
- If you want us to adjust the setup of the instrument, we will cover shipping for returning the “repaired” instrument to you.
If you need to return an item for any of the reasons above, simply login to your account, view the order using the "Complete Orders" link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button.
We will contact you as soon as we receive the “Return Item(s)” notification. Do not ship anything back to us until we have contacted you.
Instrument or Bow “Auditions”
Occasionally, we will grant a 24-hour to 48-hour (from time of receipt) audition period for an instrument or bow. We can only do this for certain instruments that we have in stock (typically a used or vintage instrument). In all cases, such an audition will have been agreed upon and the instrument paid for in full prior to us shipping the instrument or bow.
You MUST contact us during this period if you intend to return an instrument. We recommend an email (email@example.com) with a delivery receipt requested. Once the audition period has expired (maximum of 48 hours), the instrument is yours and we will not consider accepting it as a return for refund.