- Either no chin rest or a Sarasate type chin rest
- Bridge and nut adjusted for fiddle playing according to customer specs
- Two stringing variations. Only the first option (all gut with a wound gut G) was common. We will contact you to discuss which option you want to go with.
1) All pure gut with a metal wound gut G (Gamut standard gut set)
2) Metal would gut G, pure gut D and A, with a silvered or gold plated E string (Gamut standard gut set)
- If all gut strings are used, a 19th Century type tailpiece with simple string holes for knotting or looping gut strings rather than the keyholes of later tailpieces
- If a metal e-string is used, a keyhole type tailpiece with a Hill-type fine tuner for the e-string is installed.
- Real gut tailgut
Note about bridge and nut adjustment:
This process is more involved and time consuming than it sounds. With fiddle setup, we are often trying to achieve the sweet spot between a low string height and buzzing that can occur if the strings are set too low. We go through iterations of bridge triming in approximately 1mm increments. We have done so many setups that we can tell when the point has been reached when one more milimeter will make the strings too low.